These Banana Baked Oatmeal French Toast Sticks are a healthy, gluten-free, kid-friendly breakfast recipe. They can even be made ahead of time, stored in the freezer and reheated in the microwave!
Now that Squish is in preschool two mornings a week, that means we have two mornings where we actually have to be somewhere on time. As I’ve mentioned before, Squish loves breakfast…but man does he take his sweet time eating it some mornings. So I’ve been looking for breakfast options I can have on hand to get ready quickly so that when he takes forever to eat, it doesn’t put us behind schedule.
These Baked Oatmeal French Toast Sticks certainly fit the bill. They give me a little bit of nostalgia for the french toast sticks we used to have back when I was in school…except these are healthier….AND both my kids gobble them up!
A few good things about this recipe:
- It’s pretty flexible so your measurements don’t have to be exact.
- If you don’t feel like making the french toast sticks, you can just make the baked oatmeal and call it a day. Cut it into sticks or squares or whatever floats your boat.
- You can easily make it ahead of time and store in the fridge OR the freezer.
- They’re easy to customize. Drizzle with peanut butter, dip them in syrup or yogurt, mix in some chocolate chips or blueberries…you get the idea.
- You could easily add some other nutritious mix-ins like ground flax, chia seeds, etc!
So here’s how you make them:
var ajaxurl = ‘https://www.theleangreenbean.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php’; var simpleRating = ‘recipe’: 28607, ‘user’: ”
Baked Oatmeal French Toast Sticks
These Banana Baked Oatmeal French Toast Sticks are a healthy, kid-friendly breakfast recipe. They can even be made ahead of time, stored in the freezer and reheated in the microwave!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 tsp cinnamon (more if desired)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (optional)
- optional add-ins: maple syrup, flaxseed, chia seeds
French Toast Sticks
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- optional toppings: peanut butter, fruit, yogurt, syrup
To make the baked oatmeal, combine oats, 1.5 cups milk, 1 egg, banana, cinnamon, vanilla and peanut butter, if using, in a large bowl and mix well.
Pour into a 9×9 pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until set.
Let cool completely, then cut into 12 sticks.
Mix 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk in a pie tin or shallow dish.
Dip each stick in egg mixture and cook on a griddle as you would french toast.
Serve warm or store in the fridge.
To freeze, cool completely, store in a ziploc bag, microwave up to 4 sticks at a time on a plate for 30 seconds, flip over and microwave 30 seconds more.
var simpleListUrl = ‘https://www.theleangreenbean.com/saved-shopping-lists/’;
Pretty simple right?! I hope you guys enjoy these! They’re going to be a staple in my freezer for sure. I tested the recipe with and without peanut butter and also froze them as both french toast sticks and just plain baked oatmeal sticks and they all worked fine!