Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
This week dinner is your enemy, vegetarians suffer from depression, and vitamin B supplements cause cancer.
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
Links of the week
- The Case for a Breakfast Feast – Scientists have seen this pattern for years, but since it has been making the news more recently my husband is finally on board. We’ve been experimenting with light dinners of simple salads and brothy soups and we love it, though it does require more substantial meals earlier in the day. I find that lighter dinners especially help with more restful sleep. (NY Times)
- Men who go vegetarian more likely to have serious depression – It is certainly possible to be healthy and happy as a vegetarian or vegan, but you should be aware that heart disease isn’t the only relevant health outcome and that you need to be sure to get adequate (but not too much) vitamin B12 and other essential nutrients that are not readily available from plant sources. See below for articles that offer more nuance. (Food Safety News)
- Vitamin B6 and B12 Supplements Appear to Cause Cancer in Men – Excess vitamins, commonly derived from excess supplementation, can also be a problem. So be careful with your dosage. This is a major reason I prefer food sources. (The Atlantic)
- Fatty acids lower your risk of heart disease. Without fish, you’re missing out. – One common myth I hear from vegetarian proponents is that you can get adequate omega-3s from plant sources like flax and walnuts. This isn’t true, as your body converts ALA (plant omega-3) to DHA/EPA (essential vitamins) very inefficiently. Fish is the most common source of DHA/EPA, but there are algae options if you have non-health reasons for avoiding fish. (Washington Post)
- How Therapy Can Cure Overeating – Good to see binge eating disorder getting more attention. (The Atlantic)
- PSA: Scales Measure Gravity, Not Health, Happiness, Success, or Effort – Truth. (Weighty Matters)
- The Real Price of Those Cheaper Avocados – In the everlasting quest for cheaper food, keep in mind who is really paying for your luxury. (Slate)
- The Perks of Being an Adventurous Eater – I haven’t gone on an anti-picky eating rant in awhile, but I feel as strongly about it as ever. Expanding your food palette is a choice, and a smart one. (Lifehacker)
- Chefs Use These 7 Tools to Fine-Tune Their Dishes & Hide Their Mistakes – An excellent primer on understanding food qualities and how to optimize them for deliciousness. (Food52)
- corn chowder with chile, lime and cotija – Late summer in a bowl. Yum. (smitten kitchen)
What inspired you this week?