There are a number of important health observances happening this month. We have compiled a variety of resources so that you have quick, easy access to tips and information to help you get healthier. For some observances, we’re also including helpful information for organizations who want to promote them to their employees!
November Health Observances
Diabetes Awareness Month
- From the National Institutes of Health, obtain basic information, research and resources
- From the American Diabetes Association, share information to determine risk, lower risk and live with diabetes
- From the Health Advocate blog, get quick tips to help you lower your risk of type 2 diabetes
For organizations: From HealthFinder.gov, click here to access a toolkit with tips and other resources
Great American Smokeout
- From the American Cancer Society, take the smoking habits quiz, learn about the benefits of quitting tobacco, and find out how to quit smoking or using smokeless tobacco
- From the Health Advocate blog, here’s how to understand your options when you’re quitting tobacco
For organizations: From the American Cancer Society, get resources to promote and educate around the Great American Smokeout
Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
- From the Alzheimer’s Association, understand warning signs and symptoms, get information for caregivers, and learn why to get checked
- From the Health Advocate blog, “Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease”
COPD Awareness Month
- From the American Lung Association, learn about COPD, understand causes and risk factors, and get questions to ask your doctor about COPD
Family Caregivers Month
- From the Caregiver Action Network, get the top ten tips for caregivers
- From the Health Advocate blog, “The Importance of Self-Care for the Caregiver”
Hospice/Palliative Care Month
- From CaringInfo.org, get a worksheet on how to choose a quality hospice, read frequently asked questions about hospice, and get questions and answers about palliative care
- From the Health Advocate blog, “How palliative care can help a loved one”
Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- From the American Lung Association, learn about lung cancer, find out what to do after a lung cancer diagnosis for yourself or a loved one
More from the Health Advocate blog
November 13 is World Kindness Day. Get some great ideas for random acts of kindness.
November 15 is Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. Check out our best tips for cleaning out your fridge.
November 16 is Fast Food Day. Here’s how you can make healthier choices at fast food restaurants.
November 17 is Take a Hike Day. Check out our review of the Yonder app, which can help you connect with other outdoor enthusiasts to find great places to hike or do other outdoor activities.
November 24 is Flossing Day. Here are some reasons why you should be flossing every day.