Excitement is already ramping up in earnest for one of the Fall’s most unsettling movies, Suspiria. The remake of the iconic 1977 film already has a lot going for it: so far, we’ve borne witness to an unsettling mélange of photos, more than one creepy trailer, and even a vague promise of a postcredits scene. But among all the gripping details pertaining to the new spine-chiller, one is particularly exciting: this may only be the first of three installments.
In a recent interview with Deadline, director Luca Guadagnino explained that he already had planned on making a sequel. In fact, the original title of the remake would’ve hinted at exactly that. Originally, Guadagnino was planning on using Suspiria: Part One as the name. After all, the original was part of a series as well. The former project was called “The Three Mothers” trilogy, which also includes 1980’s Inferno and 2007’s The Mother of Tears. Ultimately, the director lopped off the “Part One” for a pretty understandable reason. “We didn’t want to give the impression of something that couldn’t stand alone,” he said.
All things considered, it sounds like the trilogy has been the plan all along. The fact that the remake was nearly called Suspiria: Part One means that Guadagnino not only envisioned his updated take as a series, but perhaps even discussed it with Amazon. But don’t take it from us! “Truthfully, I’d be interested to explore the origin of Madame Blanc and Helena Markos and also the future of Suzy Bannion in the world. So maybe,” Guadagnino told Deadline. “We’ll have to see how the movie goes.” Suspiria hits theaters Oct. 26.